Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Iota Incomprehensible

  • iota
  • \eye-OH-tuh\
noun

1
: the 9th letter of the Greek alphabet
2
: an infinitesimal amount : jot
 
This is what Merriam Webster dictionary online says is the definition of iota. An interesting word. I don't use it very often because I just can't think that small. But one way I can think of to use it is that we have not got an iota of understanding of how much God loves us. In other words even though we know that He gave His only Son to die for us, we still can't fathom how much love that is.  Otherwise, we would spend every waking moment of our lives in complete and utter obedience to God. I am just as guilty of not being obedient as anyone else. 
But I am thankful for the mercies of a loving and just Father who forgives me when I make mistakes, when I am forgetful of his presence, and when I don't love my fellow human beings as much as I should.
In another humorous way we can mispronounce the word as "I oughta".  I sometimes wonder if I oughta give an iota about some things the world takes seriously, like money, fame, big house, celebrity status.  But then I remember that we can't take it with us when we die.  All we leave behind is our reputation.  I would rather have a ginormous reputation for thoughtfulness, kindness, respect, love for others, gentleness, faithfulness than to have a huge bank account and fear of people because I wouldn't know if they want to know me for me or for my money.    So iota is actually a big word even though it means a small amount.  Because God can do so much more with our lives than the iota that we can do with ourselves.  God can move mountains.  He can calm a stormy sea.  He can take the faith that is as small as a mustard seed and the iota of hope we have and do big things.  I have struggled with this a lot in the last year. I know that most people know that I am waiting on a disability appeal hearing that should take place this fall or in the spring of 2012.  I filed the appeal in September 2010.  It has been the longest, most frightening year of my life.  I struggle with loneliness, and fear nearly every day.  I don't like living alone.  I don't like not having enough money to pay on all my bills each month. I don't like stressing over having enough to eat.  I especially don't like not being able to give to others who are hurting just as much or more as I am.  I am not able to adopt because i don't want to be a single parent.  I'm too old now anyway.  But I want desperately to be able to afford to sponsor a child through some organization.  I want to rescue a sweet kitty out of a shelter and give him/her a home. I think I could do that but I can't do it right now.  But I am hanging on to an iota of hope that I will be able to do all this eventually.  That with prayers of thanksgiving for the avenue of hope God offers me through His word that I will come out of this dark valley into a fresh and renewed perspective on life.  I want to glorify God and be a reflection of Christ to the world around me, not just an iota bit, but in every way. 

No comments: